|home :: site map :: Login|
|Home :: Family Directory :: Family History :: Links / Info :: Contact Us|
W. Preston Tyree's Contribution (continued) ...
Web Page #2
Granddaughter of Patrick Henry.
Housekeeping in Old Virginia
W P Tyree, III has two copies of this cookbook reprinted by the Cookbook Collectors Library in 1965
Mrs. Camillus Christian, who is referenced in (13) was a contributor to this book as are Mrs. Samuel Tyree and Mrs. J. H. Tyree.
Proceedings Virginia Historical Society, Feb 24, 1914
12. Mildred Douglas TYREE. Born 6 SEP1825. Died 24 JUN 1893.
She married George G. WILLIAMS 17, 9 DEC 1842.
13. Cora Virginia TYREE. Born 5 OCT 182914. Died 10 FEB1911 in Woodbury, NJ.
In Obituary in Lynchburg News,14 MAR1899, of Rosa Kent (Tyree) Gregory, Mrs. William S.
Shows sister Mrs. Johnson of Philadelphia
She married Thomas Lafayette JOHNSON, son of Shelby JOHNSON & Sarah ROBERTS, 12 JUN 1850. Born 14.
14. Marion Fisher TYREE. Born 19 NOV 1831. Died 27 JUN 1833.
15. Elizabeth Bailey TYREE. Born 30 NOV 1833. Died 4 DEC 1905 in Washington, DC.
Shown as sister "J. W. Younger" in obituary of Rosa Kent (Tyree) Gregory 14 MAR, 1899.
She married Samuel W. YOUNGER, son of Joel YOUNGER, 24 SEP 1851. Born 14 in Halifax Co. VA.
16. Charles Hudson TYREE. Born 11 APR 1836. Died 2 JUN 1864 in Tyreeanna.
Charles Hudson Tyree, First Lt. Company E, Eleventh Regiment of Virginia Volunteers. Wounded at the Battle of Drury's Bluff on 16 May 1864 and died at his father's residence Tyreeanna from his wounds, 2 JUN 1864. 15
He married Bettie M. SCLATER, 12 APR 1860. 14.
17. John Richard TYREE. Born 10 APR 1838. Died 17 JUN 1867.
John Richard Tyree, Rifle Grays, Company A, Eleventh Regiment, Virginia Volunteers died 17 JUN 1867. 15
18. Samuel Bransford TYREE. Born 28 JAN 1841. Died 31 MAY 1862 in Battle Of Seven Pines.
Samuel Bransford Tyree, Company G, Eleventh Regiment, Virginia Volunteers, killed at Battle of Seven Pines below Richmond, 31 MAY 1862. One young son too young to fight and slave went and brought body back. 15
19. Richard Clay TYREE. Born 23 APR 1843. Died 11 SEP 1844.
20. Andrew Adams TYREE. Born 2 SEP 1845. Died 11 OCT 1868.
21. Rosa Kent TYREE. Born 15 SEP 1847 in Lynchburg, VA. Died 12 MAR 1899 in Lynchburg, VA.
She married William Sidney GREGORY, son of James Duffel GREGORY & Anne Elizabeth WILLIAMS, 10 JAN 1872 in Court Street Methodist, Lynchburg, VA. Born 12 MAR 1845 in Lynchburg, VA. Died 20 FEB 1929. They had the following children:
30 i. Rosa Kent GREGORY
22. Walter Preston TYREE. Born 19 MAR 1850 1 in Tyreeanna, Campbell Co., VA. Died 18 JAN 1930 in Lynchburg, Campbell Co., VA. Buried in Presbyterian Cemetery Lynchburg, VA.
Walter Preston Tyree, Sr. born at ÒTyreeannaÓ near Lynchburg, Virginia, March 19, 1850. Son of John Henley and Anne Phoebe (Bransford) Tyree. Walter had what education available in that area during and right after the War between the States. He later attended Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia. member Methodist Church. OccupationÑassociated with the local railroad for some years. Walter died at Lynchburg, Virginia, January 18, 1930, and was interred at Lynchburg, Virginia, in the Presbyterian Cemetery. 1
He married Martha A. ANDERSON, daughter of Col. Logan Puryear ANDERSON & Elmira Frances ROANE, 11 APR 1871. Born 30 DEC 18451 in Halifax County, VA. Died 30 DEC 1914 in Lynchburg, Campbell Co., VA. Buried in Presbyterian Cemetery Lynchburg, VA. Occupation Homemaker. Education Private Tutors. Religion Methodist.
Mrs. W. P. Tyree is mentioned as having died four years earlier in obituary of her mother, Elmira Frances (Roane) Anderson in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, August 1918
They had the following children:
40 i. John Logan TYREE
23. Anne Amonette TYREE. Born 13 MAY 1852. Died in Lynchburg, VA. Buried in Hollywood Cem, Richmond, Va.
In obituary in Lynchburg News of 14 Mar 1899 of Rosa Kent (Tyree) Gregory, Mrs. William S. is shown sister Mrs. Nannie Sinton of Washington.
Note: it is too this home that the couple, Walter Preston Tyree, Jr. and Mary Carter Glass eloped in 1903. Walter Preston Tyree, Jr. was the son of Walter Preston Tyree, brother to Anne Ammonette (Tyree) Sinton.
She married Charles Cox SINTON, 4 OCT 1882 in Richmond, VA. Buried 10 MAY 1889 in Hollywood Cem., Richmond VA.
24. Achilles Douglas TYREE, Jr. 17.
25. Samuel Joseph TYREE 17.
26. Thomas M. TYREE 17.
27. R. L. TYREE 17.
28. Joseph S. TYREE. Born 14 AUG 1850 in Campbell Co. VA.
He married Mary Elizabeth DOUGLAS. They had the following children:
49 i. Roxanna Deering TYREE
29. Richard J. TYREE.
30. Rosa Kent GREGORY. Born 24 NOV 1872. Died AFTER 14 MAR 1899.
Miss R. Kent listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR 1899
31. William Sidney GREGORY. Born 8 AUG 1874. Died (BEFORE 14 MAR 1899)?
Not listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR, 1899.
32. Phoebe Tyree GREGORY. Born 6 JUN 1876 in Lynchburg, Campbell Co., VA. Died 19 NOV 1906 in Denver, CO.
Mrs. W. J. Seabury listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR, 1899. She married William James SEABURY, 4 OCT 1897 in Court St. United Methodist Lynchburg, VA. Born 19 JAN 1897 in Newport, RI.
33. Susie Sanford GREGORY. Born 6 DEC 1878. Died 6 JUN 1900.
Miss Susie S. listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR, 1899.
34. James Duffel GREGORY. Born 11 OCT 1880. Died (BEFORE 14 MAR 1899?).
Not listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR 1899.
35. Cora Bettie GREGORY. Born 15 FEB 1883.
Miss Cora listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR, 1899.
36. Nannie Sinton GREGORY. Born 25 JAN 1885.
Miss Nannie listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR, 1899.
37. Lizzie Williams GREGORY. Born 6 JUN 1887. Died (BEFORE 14 MAR 1899?).
Not listed as surviving in her mother's obituary 14 MAR 1899.
38. John Tyree GREGORY. Born 18 FEB 1889.
J. Tyree listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR, 1899.
39. Helen Douglas GREGORY. Born 3 MAY 1891.
Miss Helen listed as surviving in mother's obituary 14 MAR, 1899.
She married William Durham HALL, FEB in Washington, D.C. Born in Roanoke, VA. 40. John Logan TYREE. Born 30 JAN 1872 in Lynchburg, VA. Died 19 MAR 1950 in Lynchburg, VA. Occupation Owned Photography Shop. Education Available.
John L. Tyree listed as flower-bearer in Rosa Kent (Tyree) Gregory obituary 14 MAR, 1899.
He married Marcia Roberta SCOTT, CIRCA 1895. Born 23 OCT 1870 in Lynchburg, VA. Died in Lynchburg, VA. Buried in Scott Private Cemetery. Occupation Homemaker. Religion Episcopal. They had the following children:
55 i. John Henry TYREE
41. Phoebe Elmyra TYREE. Born 6 AUG 1873. Died 1874.
42. Maude Bransford TYREE. Born 17 MAR 1875 in Tyreeanna, VA. Died 28 FEB 1970 in Richmond, VA. Buried in Lynchburg, VA. Occupation Homemaker. Education Private Christian School In Richmond. Religion Episcopalian.
A Mrs. C.H. Almond, Jr. is listed as being the friend of Walter Preston Tyree, Jr.'s bride, Mary Carter Glass in the article about their elopement.
She married Charles Henry ALMOND, 17 SEP 1902. Born 24 MAY 1879 in Lynchburg, VA. Died 21 DEC 1940 in Lynchburg, VA. Buried in Springhill Cemetery. Occupation C. H. Almond Dry Goods, Co. Education Public Schools, Roanoke College. Religion Baptist. They had the following children:
59 i. Tyree McDaniel ALMOND
43. Walter Preston TYREE, Jr. Born 2 DEC 1876 in Tyreeanna, Campbell Co., VA. Died 2 JAN 1959 in Lynchburg, Campbell Co., VA. Buried in Presbyterian Cemetery Lynchburg, VA. Occupation Tobacconist. Education Public Schools. Religion Methodist.
Lynchburg News 4 March, 1903
Letter from Neil Hammerstom
Éhis father, was a jewel in the rough, and that's being charitable where your namesake is concerned. Mr. Tyree followed the tobacco market in VA and NC, which explains why he was away from hom so much. I suspect he was not particularly favored by certain members of the Glass family, so that, too, accounted for some of his absence.
He married Mary Carter GLASS, daughter of Edward Christian GLASS & Susan Gathright CARTER, 3 MAR 1903 in Washington, DC. Born 18 MAY 1883 in Lynchburg, Campbell Co., VA. Died 23 JUL 1973 in Lynchburg, Campbell Co., VA. Buried in Presbyterian Cemetery Lynchburg, VA. Occupation Homemaker. Education Private Schools, Randolph Macon Womens College. Religion Court Street Methodist Church.
Mary Carter's uncle Carter Glass was the well known Senator from Virginia who co-authored the Glass-Stegall act which established the Federal Reserve Board. He also was a representative from Va. and served as Secretary of the Treasury under Hoover?
Go on to Web Page #3.
Return to Other Tyrees
|www.TheTyrees.com · Copyright 2011 - All rights reserved.|